Iteration 3: Info and tasks up for grabs

Coordinator
Jun 12, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Dear all, 

We now enter the so-called 3rd Iteration.

Android
The focus of this iteration is to wrap up any bugs from Iteration 1 and 2, add maybe one more big feature and getting the last quirks fixeds. Based on that, I propose the following tasks (in priority):

1. Quirk: Finalize fix for performance issues on Current and Upcoming activity (Sebastian?) 
  2. Test: That favorites still work after refactoring
  3. Quirk: Update the import of favorites from malmofestivalen.se, which is outdated
  4. New: Create new layout (Tien?)
  5. Test: That downloading updates work
  6. New: Social Photo feature I'd really like to see this come alive. Anyone up for volunteering to do the Android part? I'll take on the task of creating the back end endpoint, to which picture and schedule ID can be posted.
  7. New: Event dates should include month/year

Latest news on the API is that it will be available from the end of June, whereafter we will be able to work on live data.

Could the iPhone team and the Windows Phone 7 team please follow up with some thoughts on what they'd like to accomplish during this iteration?

Editor
Jun 12, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Sorry about being absent - I've been finishing up the term at work. I will be freer now, so I'll be able to work on the layout and graphic design.

I'd like to know what new features we will have by the release, so I can recreate the interaction map.  That is the most important part to me, as it will eventually affect the layout. Has anything more been said about the Malmöfestivalen logo or images?  If I can use their images as a base, that would make it easier, but no worries if not. I am also concerned about my ability to make it compatible with all phone screen sizes.  Is there a base size that I could use and assume is "standard"?  Still, I'll propose something and we'll take it from there.

If you have some time this week, Christer, perhaps we can chat about it.  I am free in the evenings after Wednesday.

Tien

Coordinator
Jun 12, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Tien,

Sounds great. Before you dive into layout changes, we might just want to synchronize goals and and expectations. 

Personally my hope is to get (1) a more attractive start activity showing the possibilities of the application, possibly with some hip "Malmöfestivalen 2011" logo in the top. After this, maybe some layout changes (2) to the event detail and (3) to the scene detail. This is very much inspired by the Way Out West festival and Smuk fest. (see issue 6766, by the way)

I mention this basically because the time frame for making changes is narrow now, and we need to focus on getting the most of that time. Furthermore, during this time frame, I personally will not be able to go into this much more than communicating and discussing the layout proposals - collaborating on a technical level (sizes, resolutions) and actual implementation must be lead by another Android volunteer (users sebols, mirontoli, lillvik). I suggest you secure a technical collaborator before spending too much time on a new layout, or else it will just be time wasted. You can contact these users via their profile page or here in discussions.

Coordinator
Jun 14, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Tien, 

I unfortunately left two things unanswered in my response above:

1. I'll update the documentation Tab to show the 2011 features as well, which will benefit us all. I expect to have that done on Sunday.
  2. The use of the Malmöfestivalen logo / images is still an open question. I'll try to get an answer as soon as possible.

Christer

Editor
Jun 19, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Who is the best person to talk to for information on the design?  I know you will be out of town for a few weeks, but if there is someone else I can talk to, let me know. I really don't know who to approach.

Unfortunately, I feel that perhaps I might not of much use to you this time around and I feel rather bad about that. I will definitely try, but I think given the time frame and the amount of work needed to incorporate any design changes might be insurmountable.

Still, I can always try and if it's not used this year, perhaps elements of the design can be used next year.  I apologize for not having had the time until now.

Tien